|YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR PURPOSE!
The episode opens up with a bunch of Jack's allies from previous episodes going to their televisions when see the inside of Aku's lair on them. The old opening monolouge from the earlier seasons plays (with Mako's dialouge) with Aku appearing afterwards to announce that he has captured Jack and plans to execute him on live television.
After trouble deciding what he should kill the samurai with, he decides that Ashi (who is corrupted by Aku) should be the one to kill him. As Ashi is about to stab Jack, the samurai's allies break into Aku's lair and begin attacking the demon. Jack then escapes and meets up with the Scotsman, who tells him about his many daughters, Jack declines being offered to choose one of them as his spouse, which makes the Scotsman lash out at him before Jack tells him that he met someone.
Meanwhile, Aku laughs off the armies' attacks as he squashes a Blind Archer, which turns them into a miniature clone of Aku. After more clones are created, they begin attacking more of Jack's allies. After getting beaten up by a giant samurai robot, he then goes up into the sky and releases needles onto the army, which kills the pilots of the mech. Jack later attempts to free Ashi from being controlled by Aku. She is freed after Jack confesses that he loves her. Aku then confronts Ashi, who says that Aku isn't her father. Ashi then realizes that she still has Aku's powers, and after a brief battle, she uses her power to create a time portal to return to the point where Aku sent Jack to the future.
Then the ending scene from the first episode where Jack nearly defeats Aku in the past but was sent into the future momentarily. Now, Jack and Ashi then arrive out of the time portal with Aku exclaiming "You're back already?" Jack then starts slashing Aku with his sword which ends with Aku formed around Jack's sword. Jack then thrusts his sword into the ground and destroys Aku's tower, not before Jack and Ashi escape. Years later, Jack and Ashi are about to be wed, but Ashi collapses and explains that due to Aku's death, she will die as well, before passing away. Jack is then depressed and mourns in the forest over Ashi's passing. Jack then sees a ladybug and is reminded that everyone can live peacefully now, looking over at the Aku-free forest.
- Directed by
- Written by
- Storyboard by
- Casting by
- This is the official series finale of Samurai Jack.
- Many of Jack's former allies and acquaintances return from previous episodes to aid in the final battle. These include:
- Max's voice sounds rather different than in his initial appearance.
- Jack was finally able to return to the past and successfully destroy Aku for good.
- Tragically killing Aku came with a cost, Ashi would pass away since she was Aku's daughter. The same would apply to her sisters as well.
- After the past Aku's destruction, everything he was responsible for in the future was undone. This may affect the existence and life of the people in the future, e.g. humans, aliens, robots, etc. and some events. However, since no one else will suffer from Aku's tyranny, Jack actually saved every race in the universe from miserable life under his rule.
- There is an ancient Chinese legend that links the ladybug with love. The story goes that when a ladybug comes to call, it is a sign that true love will also pay us a visit. Further renditions of the legend state the number of spots on the ladybug indicate the amount of months that will pass until we are united with our true love. This may hint that Ashi and Jack may see each other in the afterlife or in another life. The ladybug is also a sign of hope.
- This also ties in with the red string of fate, with the ladybug being Jack and Ashi's string. According to the red string of fate, the two people connected by the red thread are destined lovers, regardless of place, time, or circumstances. This magical cord may stretch or tangle, but never break. This myth is similar to the Western concept of soulmate or a destined flame.
- The Guardian is officially confirmed to be killed.
- The ending scene from Episode I, where Jack defeats Aku but is propelled into the future, is completely re-animated with new voice work in this episode.
- This episode reveals that Jack spent fifty years in the future, but was absent from his era for ten seconds.
- This episode also features the old opening within the episode (including Mako's narration as Aku), albeit with the horse whiney sound effect removed and different sound effects and foley for the sword swings and the time portal.
- The final portion (from "Now the fool seeks to return to the past..." onward) was a newly animated sequence.
- Mako is credited posthumously as Past Aku.
- This is the second and final episode in Season 5 without the classic ending of Will.I.Am rapping "Gotta get back to the past". The first was Episode XCIX.
- The tree Jack stands under in the end of the episodes is the same one Jack shows Ashi in episode XCVI.
- Many JackXAshi fans were disappointed that Jack and Ashi never got married due to Jack killing Aku in the past, hence making the Daughters of Aku never borns.
Paradox: If Jack killed Aku in the past and Ashi never existed, then she wouldn't have send Jack and herself back into the past to kill Aku the moment he sent jack into the future.
- When Jack attacks Past Aku, Aku's eyebrows is missing at one frame.
- Main article: Episode CI/Gallery