|YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR PURPOSE!
The episode begins on an airship that Ashi, now alone, is traveling on. Two large hooded creatures, believing that she is one of Aku's bounty hunters, approach and attack her, vowing she will not hurt the Samurai. Ashi quickly assures them she only wants to help Jack, believing he might be in danger. Convinced she is not an enemy, the creatures are revealed to be two Woolies, who tell Ashi the story of how Jack saved their people from the Chritchellites. Once the story ends and the airship arrives at its destination, Ashi thanks the Woolies and jumps from the ship, using her kusarigama to grab hold of a tree and safely land in the forest below.
Meanwhile, Scaramouch's severed head reactivates. Despite his handicap and destroyed mobile phone, he resolves to get in touch with Aku to inform him of Jack's missing sword.
While walking through the forest, Ashi comes across someone attacking a group of Beetle Drones. The hunters are revealed to be the Three Blind Archers, who Jack saved decades earlier. When Ashi confirms her allegiance to Jack, the Archers escort her back to their village, where they have erected a statue of Jack in his honor. After hearing their story of Jack's heroism, Ashi asks for the whereabouts of the Samurai. Though the Archers have not seen Jack since the day they were rescued, they remain loyal to him, and so Ashi continues her search.
Scaramouch eventually reaches a port town (the same port the Scotsman and Jack visited when the latter lost his memory from Episode XLV) and attempts to board a ship, only to be frequently stopped by a sailor on the dock for numerous reasons, including being one of Aku's deadliest assassins. Undeterred, Scaramouch finally manages to sneak aboard with help from a small-headed man and continues his mission.
That night, Ashi comes across a rave outside a village. When she inquires the whereabouts of Jack, the DJ (revealed to be a slightly older Olivia) sings the story of how Jack saved them all from Aku's influence. Further convinced of Jack's heroism, Ashi presses on. Approaching a waterfall in the forest, Ashi remembers the time her mother indoctrinated her and her sisters by having them dive into burning ashes, "becoming one with the darkness" and giving them their signature "outfits". Diving into the river, Ashi spends the rest of the night scrubbing off her ashes, letting her hair down and creating a new outfit from nearby foliage, finally putting the past behind her.
While relaxing on the ship, Scaramouch spots a phone booth on the deck and tries to put in a call to Aku. However, he is quickly drowned out by a nearby crowd of anthropomorphic dogs. When Scaramouch rudely explains that he's trying to use the phone, the dogs take offense and toss him overboard, much to his displeasure.
Back in the forest, Ashi stops at a tavern to get out of the rain. When Ashi asks the bartender (revealed to be an older Da Samurai) where to find Jack, he feigns hearing loss until she blurts out her intentions, causing all the tavern's patrons to gang up on her. As the customers share their scars and agree that Jack is the best warrior in the world, Da Samurai tells Ashi the story of the time he met Jack and decided to change his ways afterwards, eventually becoming the owner of the tavern where they first met. Demongo arrives shortly after, but leaves when he notices the terrible condition of the warriors there.
Upon exiting the tavern herself, Ashi encounters a strange girl with large eyes, who tells her she can find Jack by traveling north. Ashi does so and finally finds Jack in a cemetery, being surrounded by the ghosts of other samurai. The Horseman soon appears and prepares to help Jack commit seppuku for the latter's perceived failure. Dodging the Horseman's attacks, Ashi reminds Jack of all the people he's helped and that hope is not lost, confirming that the children they saved together are very much alive. His confidence restored after hearing the truth, Jack manages to save Ashi from the Horseman, killing the apparition with the sword intended for his own disembowelment. Once the ghosts of the other samurai return to their graves, Jack thanks Ashi for her help and compliments her new hairstyle. When Ashi asks what their next move is, Jack explains it is time to find his sword.
- Directed by
- Written by
- Genndy Tartakovsky
- Storyboarded by
- Genndy Tartakovsky
- This is the first episode to use to on-screen swearing.
- This episode features the return of the Woolies, the Three Blind Archers, Olivia and the Ravers, and Da Samurai.
- It's reveal that the Well of King of King Ozric was cursed by Aku.
- Scaramouch is revealed to be alive after the events of Episode XCII, however only his head remained and is attempting to return to Aku to let him know Jack has lost his sword.
- Demongo is also revealed to be alive. It is revealed when Ashi is in the bar asking about Jack when he walks in saying he's come to take the greatest warriors souls, but after seeing how disfiguired they are, he quickly remarks that he must've come to the wrong place, and leaves.
- This is the first episode to use direct sexual humor. This is seen when Scaramouche goes on the boat with the passenger, and states that "he looked like a talking penis."
- It was revealed that Ashi's black clothes and her sisters' were not actually clothes but burned on by ashes by abuse from her mother by being pushed into embers naked.
- These are washed off by Ashi, and she makes a new outfit out of leaves and vines, as well as letting her hair down.
- As of this episode, Jack gets his Mojo back and seeks to find his sword to kill Aku.
- Jack attempts to commit Seppuku in this episode but Ashi saves his life.
- Astro from The Jetsons makes a cameo appearance as one of the three humanoid dogs that gang up on Scaramouch.
- In the same episode, a robotic version of Popeye appears in the bar with other thugs.
- This episode reveals that The Omen is in fact a physical entity and not a figment of Jack's imagination.
- Main article: Episode XCVII/Gallery