|“||I am the son of Aku's magic. He has looked deep within you and has spawned me from your own burning hatred. I am your dark side and I have possesses all the powers that you wield and I have only one purpose in my existence to destroy you!||”|
—Mad Jack, Episode VIII: Jack versus Mad Jack
|“||You are the one who kept the past hidden. Your anger. Your frustration.||”|
—Samurai Jack, Episode XCVIII
Mad Jack was one of Aku's minions and an evil personality of Jack. He was created by Aku to defeat him using his own skills against him. He made his first appearance in Episode VIII: Jack versus Mad Jack. He lost his physical form after Jack found peace within himself and was absorbed. In Season 5 he was reborn as Inner Jack where he continued to antagonize Jack in his mind.
Appearance & Personality
Mad Jack was created by Aku to see if he could defeat Samurai Jack using his own skills against him. He is Jack's exact replica, except that his robe is black with red trim, his skin is paler, and his eyes are blood red with shadows under them. In Season 5, he is now looks like red and a distorted version of Jack, appearing like a larger more demonic version of bloodlust.
Like Jack, Mad Jack is also armed with a katana simliar to Jack's sword. He has shown to be very rude, violent, and rather psychopathic, completely unlike Jack. In essence, he is the physical embodiment of all of Jack's rage and frustration. By Season 5, he becomes obsessed with Jack, believing he needs him to survive in the future.
Aku had sent several bounty hunters to attack Jack, all of which failed, Aku lamented that no fighting style seemed to be able to beat Jack's, which caused him to form a plan; to pit him against himself.
After having to fight several bounty hunters, Jack became infuriated at his lack of peace and he was tired of fighting. He tried to calm down after defeating the last of them, but when his sandal strap broke, he snapped and threw the sandal at one of his wanted screens. The screen then started to light up, energy came from it and formed around the sandal, sealing the strap, until it finally forming into a more sinister Jack, Mad Jack. Surprised Jack questioned who the double was. In response, Mad Jack revealed himself to be the spawn of Aku's magic, formed from Jack's own hatred as well as being his dark side possessing all of his skills, created for the sole purpose to destroy Jack for Aku.
The two fighters then begin battle and appear to be evenly matched, trading blow for blow. However, since they both possessed equal skills, neither one could best the other. Their fight grew more intense as they continued, forcing each other's hair to sprawl out, reducing trees to ashes with the sparks of their swords, and outright destroying the area with the force of their blows.
As Jack struggled with his dark half, he saw the reflection of his own eyes in his sword and to his horror saw they bore great resemblance. Finding his peaceful center, Jack stepped back and calmed himself, causing all of his negative emotions to fade away. He then claimed the fight was over, stating that the negative emotions that formed Mad Jack were gone, meaning Mad Jack didn't exist.
Refusing to let Jack look down on him, Mad Jack boasted that he was real and charged toward Jack to deliver the final blow. However, while Jack remained in a meditative position, not even bothering to defend. As he was to strike Jack down, Mad Jack was instantly in Jack's control, able to do nothing except scream in impotent fury and defeat before he was sealed away by Jack.
At some point, Mad Jack was the cause of Samurai Jack losing his katana. As Aku destroyed the final time portal, Jack started to get frustrated, which caused Mad Jack to return and briefly control Jack in order to vanquish Aku. Mad Jack then causes Jack to kill the goats; making Jack very weak but coming back to his senses. As soon as a large slab hit Jack, the katana fell into the pit and was never ever seen again.
When Jack tried to make a perfect tea but failed, Mad Jack appeared as one of Jack's consciences, and was frustrated at the monk for not telling the location of the Katana. Mad Jack tried to slap the Monk in order to gain answers but Jack confronted him about being the reason why he lost the sword, to which Mad Jack defends himself by claiming he's the reason why they are alive. As he attacks Jack, Jack calmly controls his anger and finally sees through his rage, vanquishing Mad Jack for good as the latter begs "You need me". After battling his inner demon, Jack finally reclaims the Katana.
Skills and Abilities
Mad Jack's physical abilities and combat skills are identical to Jack's own. This resulted in a perfect stalemate between him and Jack when the two of them fought. However, he could only exist so long as Jack's hatred existed. Once Jack got his emotions under control, Mad Jack ceased to be.'
- Episode VIII: Jack versus Mad Jack (debut appearance)
- Episode XCVIII (Death, and final appearance)
- "That's fortune cookie nonsense. He know where it is, he just won't tell you."
- "EARN!??? After everything we've done, everything WE'VE BEEN THROUGH? The death, the loss, THE SUFFERING! WHO ARE YOU TO DENY US WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY OURS!?"
- " I HAVE KEPT US ALIVE! He's the one who has taken it from us! HE KNOWS WHERE IT IS!"
- "You're in my way!"
- "YOU'RE. A. FOOL!!!"
- "YOU NEED ME!!!!!"
- In Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion, he appeared as a skin for Samurai Jack when changing Jack's appearance.
- Mad Jack's return in Episode XCVIII portrays him in a red spirit form; This is because as Jack was sealing him away during their first encounter, he was sealed into a red spirit form, therefore destroying his physical form.
- It is possible that Mad Jack banded together the other personalities of Jack such as Anguish, Bloodlust and Apathy, in order to influence Jack towards the wrong path and possibly convince him to end his life as revenge.
- It is unknown why Mad Jack, when temporarily possessing Jack, tried to kill Aku, when he was created by the latter for the sole purpose of ending the samurai.
- It could be so that he could take advantage of Jack's anger or even cause him to lose the sword and send him on a misguided path with the help of the other negative personalities.
- Jack overcoming Mad Jack is similar to how Batman overcomes Joker in a mental battle in Batman: Arkham Knight. Both heroes are temporarily controlled by the evil, but manages to seal them through their worse fears (being forgotten). Mad Jack also says "You need me" as his final words similar to how The Joker says "I need you" as his.