|“||Samurai Jack! Man, it is good to see you, babe. What took you so long? I decimated this village days ago, just for you. Oh wait, this is you, right? I mean who could recognize you with all that gear, and ruggedness, baby? I'll tell you who: Me! Be-bee-ba-boo-bo-da... Scaramouche the Merciless! The Pied-Piper of Ruination, the Crooner of Carnage, the Ambassador of Annihilation, the Eradicator of All, baby! Also known as... Aku's most favorite assassin, babe.||”|
—Scaramouche introducing himself, Episode XCII
Scaramouche the Merciless was an android who used to be Aku's #1 assassin. His specialty was using his (literally) magical voice to battle his foes. He was a recurring antagonist of Season 5.
Scaramouche is a very tall, robotic warrior, standing over a head taller than Jack, who himself is above average in height. His appearance is similar to X-49, but with teal (or white depending on whether or not he has a body) eyes instead of red, a longer neck, and a larger functional mouth with teeth and a blue-green (later red) tongue. He wears a black straw hat, orange scarf, red high-heel boots, a long purple coat with red interior, and a large black belt. Inside his belt holters his tuning sword, while his larger sword is stationed on his back.
Despite Scaramouche's bubbly, comedic, and fun-loving demeanor unlike most robots that were sent to kill or assassinate Jack, he is nevertheless a homicidal psychopath who massacred an entire town of innocent people in order to draw Jack's attention. However, to call him evil is inaccurate as he was simply created and programmed such a way by his creator or creators.
He is also cruel. Upon noticing that Jack was without his sword, he proceeded to mock him for it to the point of calling Aku to boast that Jack had lost the weapon. He has a tendency to call anyone he meets as babe or baby, even his boss Aku. He is also extremely arrogant, proclaiming himself as Aku's favorite assassin. This was the case at the time, but his defeat at Jack's hands likely caused him to drop through the ranks, as he is seen to have fallen to Aku's third favorite assassin by episode XCVII.
His arrogance would ultimately prove to lead to his defeat, since he lets his guard down long enough for Jack to use his knife (which was imbued by Scaramouche's own magnetic force from his own knife) as a makeshift shrapnel grenade to cripple his neck (the source of his magic).
In the face of possible deactivation, he praises Jack's fighting skill, likely a weak attempt to talk his way out of his fate, before Jack cleaves him in half with his own sword.
His boastful and arrogant behavior continues to become a problem for him in XCVII, as he constantly gets into trouble with other passengers on a ship as well as one of its sailors. When he is stopped by the guard in question (who points out Scaramouche's condition), Scaramouche resolves to using his prideful title as 'Aku's favorite' to get on board. This doesn't work due to his actual current status not being Aku's top assassin, much to his annoyance at having been de-throned. He is also capable of showing shocked or disgusted emotions as well, as he comments on Jack talking to thin air and the creepiness of the head shape of the passenger who helped him sneak aboard.
His 'headliner' status makes him even more arrogant, which is shown when whilst relaxing on a sun chair, he orders what he assumed was a waitress to get him a drink, much to her anger. He is also extremely disdainful, as he insults a group of anthropomorphic dogs by calling them with slurs such as "Rover", "barking" and saying "go get somebody their slippers". This caused his attempt to inform Aku of Jack's loss of his katana to backfire, as their leader threw him overboard.
His origin is unknown, but given his similarities to the discontinued X-Models, it is likely that he was created by Aku's evil scientists. This is supported by the fact that he has a smartphone that allowed him to contact Aku anytime he wishes and an access to his lair.
By the time Jack reaches the plume of smoke, he arrives at a ruined city, filled with rubble and the corpses of its dead citizens. Jack meets the robot assassin Scaramouche, who claims himself to be Aku's most favored assassin and remarks on Jack's nigh-unrecognizable appearance, including the loss of Jack's sword. In a flashback, Jack recalls his signature weapon falling down a pit as he looks in horror. Laughing, Scaramouche declares that Jack is no threat without his sword, and calls Aku on his mobile phone to make a report, but Jack destroys the phone with a thrown kunai.
Somewhat delighted with this turn of events, Scaramouche begins to fight Jack, first by playing a magical flute that forms a golem out of the city's rubble. Jack quickly discovers that Scaramouche can rebuild the golem easily by reanimating more rocks to replace any part he breaks off. Landing among a pile of rocks after destroying the golem, Jack is once again swept up in another hallucination, this time seeing the rocks around him as the children of the city, begging him for help. The mysterious rider, prevalent in his other visions, looks down on the scene. Jack pleads for their understanding, causing Scaramouche to think Jack has gone "beaucoup cuckoo". Coming back to reality with a rock to the face, Jack eventually destroys the flute, but Scaramouche reveals that his voice was the true source of his magic. The robot proves his point by scatting. This impromptu singing animates Scaramouche's sword to continue the fight against Jack.
While Jack barely dodges the sword's attacks, Scaramouche brings out another blade which opens up like a tuning fork, demonstrating its ability to vibrate at a frequency powerful enough to shatter Jack's own knives. As Scaramouche fights Jack to a standstill, he gloats over his victory, but Jack throws his remaining sword at Scaramouche, still vibrating from clashing with the tuning fork sword. The sword explodes at the last second, severely damaging Scaramouche's vocal chord equivalent, leaving him unable to fight. Scaramouche admits defeat as Jack cleaves him in two with Scaramouche's first blade, after which Jack keeps the tuning fork sword for himself as he leaves. (In Episode XCII)
It is revealed that he survived his fight with Jack, but is now decapitated. On waking up, he dances and starts to rejoice whilst singing about his well-being. Upon noticing his broken phone, he remembers the status of Jack's sword and sets off on a mission to contact Aku.
Scaramouche hops his way to Heck's Bucket Seaport (the same one the Scotsman and Jack visited during the latter's amnesia). While celebrating his discovery, he ends up being accidentally kicked down a hill by civilians walking past. As he approaches a docked ship, he is stopped by a hulking sailor guard, who directs Scaramouche to a sign that claims 'No Shirt, No Shoes, No Body - No Entry'. Scaramouche tries to use his status as 'Aku's favorite' to get aboard, only for the sailor to point to another sign showing the current leader-board of Aku's favorites (to which Scaramouche has been relegated to 3rd place). Annoyed by his demotion as a favorite, he resolves to prove himself and starts to look for alternate ways in, such as hiding inside a woman's hair (but being seen and thrown out by the sailor), and placing his head on a dog (a new rule claiming 'No Dog' stops him). Ultimately, he manages to strike a deal with a civilian to combine the assassin's head with the civilian's body. The ruse works and he manages to get on board. He is then reminded by the civilian that he is owed 50 credits, but Scaramouche simply replies that Aku will reward him for the information on Jack's sword. Once the civilian leaves, Scaramouche voices his disgust with the shape of the civilian's head, (humorously) claiming it "looks like a talking penis".
Once aboard the ship, Scaramouche spend his time relaxing, until he mistakes a female passenger for a waitress and commands her to bring him a drink, therefore angering the woman and causing her to kick Scaramouche towards a wall. Recovering from the assault, he notices a conveniently placed phone booth on the ship, and proceeds to call Aku.
As he starts to tell Aku about Jack's sword, Aku responds with a confused voice, unable to hear Scaramouche due to background noise from the other passengers. Scaramouche impatiently orders the passengers to keep their voices down, but ends up offending a group of anthropomorphic dogs, who proceed to throw him overboard. (Episode XCVII)
Some time later, Scaramouche takes control of an octopus and finally arrives at Aku's lair, where he informs the Master of Darkness about Jack losing his sword. As a reward, Aku restores his body and they both dance in celebration.
Unaware that Jack had recovered his sword, Aku and Scaramouche confronted Jack and Ashi, but after seeing Jack with his sword, Aku quickly turned to Scaramouche with anger, and before Scaramouche could explain himself, Aku exploded his head with his eye beam, killing him once and for all. However, in spite of his death, Scaramouche indirectly caused Aku to realize that Ashi was his biological daughter and corrupted her which caused Jack to admit defeat. (Episode C)
After Jack finally returned to the past with Ashi's help to kill Aku, Scaramouche was presumably erased from existence as the Evil Scientists, who likely never became evil due Aku's absence, would have never created him as Aku would have never ordered his construction and serve him due being deceased by that time. However, if the scientists indeed created him, it's possible that Scaramouche still exists in the new future, but as his encounter with Jack never happened, his purpose and possibly his personality were most likely changed. (Episode CI)
Powers and Abilities
- Enhanced Speed and Agility: Scaramouche was remarkably agile. He was able to leap tall structures in a single bound, quickly dodge Jack's attacks, and massacred an entire village in only a day.
- Musical Telekinesis: Using a "magic" flute, Scaramouche could levitate objects and create golems to fight opponents. When the flute was destroyed, he could continue to levitate objects by scatting, indicating this power comes from his voice and the flute merely amplified his ability, since he only needed to control his sword through his voice. His power seems to depend on something in his torso, as he loses this ability after Jack severs his head, nullifying the ability.
- Swordsmanship: Scaramouche was a master sword fighter, easily holding his own against even the experienced Jack, and carries multiple blades on his person, including a heavy scimitar and a special "tuning sword" that destroys objects on contact.
- Multi-linguist: Scaramouche appeared to understand French, as he taunts Jack with au revoir which is goodbye in the language. However, he sarcastically remarks it's French for "You're dead, babe."
- Durability: Despite being cleaved and beheaded by Jack, Scaramouche survived his encounter and was able to continue functioning despite no longer having a body, a feat that most other robots can't do. This may be due to the fact that Jack could not eradicate all of Aku's essence within him due to killing him with something other than his sword.
- Body Takeover: As a head, Scaramouche had the ability to take over the body of any organism as long as his head is placed on the neck area of the body. He does this to a dog, and subsequently to a humanoid.
- Maneuverability: Scaramouche was able to travel long distances even if he only has just his head and part of his neck, simply hopping around on the latter.
- Buoyancy: Despite being made of metal, Scaramouche's head could float in water without sinking.
- Waterproof: It was shown that his electronic circuits are waterproof, since he could not be electrocuted or short-circuit while floating in water, despite the exposed circuitry in his neck.
Weapons and Equipment
- Flute: Scaramouche uses a "magic" flute to telekinetically levitate and throw objects or create golems to fight opponents. The flute was destroyed by Jack.
- Scimitar: Scaramouhe uses a giant scimitar in combat, the weapon being much larger and heavier than a normal blade. Its blade is strong enough to slice through Scaramouche's robotic body with ease. The sword can levitate and is controlled by Scaramouche's voice through scatting.
- Tuning Knife: Scaramouche fights with a knife that can transform into a tuning fork shape and emits an ultra high frequency oscillation that shatters objects on contact. Taken by Jack after he defeats Scaramouche.
- "Samurai Jack! Man, it is good to see you, babe. What took you so long? I decimated this village days ago just for you. Oh wait, this is you, right? I mean who could recognize you with all that gear, and ruggedness, baby?"
- "I'll tell you who: Me! Be-bee-ba-boo-bo-da... Scaramouche the Merciless! The Pied-Piper of Ruination, the Crooner of Carnage, the Ambassador of Annihilation, the Eradicator of All, baby! Also known as... Aku's most favorite assassin, babe".
- "Oh, there it is, babe. The world famous scowl. Well, come on, Sammy baby, whip it out! You know what I'm talking about. That crazy sword of yours. Let's get slicin' and dicin', hackin' and slashin', swingin' and bashin', babe!"
- "Wait, back off a sec there, beardsly. Where...is your sword? Huh? I don't see it. Oh? No, no, no, no, NO, babe! Don't tell me. You lost...your sword!"
- "Okay, Jacky baby, you just make with the scowl while I make with the phone and call up Aku."
- "Oh, nice choreography, babe; you haven't lost a step. Well then, let's dance"
- "You know baby, I wasn't crazy about the front scrub, but I am grooving on the mane."
- "That Samurai has gone beaucoup-cuckoo"
- "You might have destroyed my magic flute, but you cannot destroy the musical magic that is me, babe!"
- "Dig that beautiful sound, baby!"
- "Hey babe, I told you, I'm Aku's favorite. No one plays the blades like I do. NO ONE!"
- "Well it's been fun, Jacko, but I've got to move on. Au revoir. That's French for, you're dead babe!"
- "Well babe, time for me to shuffle off stage. Looks like you're the headliner now, huh?"
- "That's all, babe."
- "I'm alive! Do-do-do-dooo, I'm alive! I'm alive!"
- "Oh right, that samurai schmuck broke my phone. I gotta tell Aku that Jacky-boy lost his sword. Oh well, I guess I'm bunny-hopping my way there!"
- "Oh man. All this walking is hurting my neck."
- "Hey, I made it! I finally made it!"
- "What is the problemo, babe?"
- "No Shirts, No Shoes, No Body, No Entry?"
- "Swing-a-ding-ding. I am Aku's top bot. The assassin, with the sassin"
- "Aku's Current Top Assassins: 1. Deathblow, 2. DaBomb, 3. Scaramouche?"
- "Oh baby, I have come down from the world"
- "One day, you're the star of the show, the next you're the third act of a two act play"
- "Well this star is a headliner babe, and once I tell Aku, Jacky-o lost his sword-o, I'll be numero uno, once more-o! Hm, now how am I gonna get aboard the..? Oh, bingo baby!"
- "Oh, drat."
- "Bow-wow-wow, bow-wow-wow, bow-wow-wow babe!"
- "Bow-wow heartbreaker."
- "Yeah babe. Dig this groovy cat."
- "Woo-hoo! Numero uno, here I come, babe!"
- "Trust me babe, I'm good for it."
- "Oh it's all good Baboo, Aku will give me anything once he hears the news."
- "Whoa, what a freak. Looked like a talking penis"
- "Hey Babe, be a doll and fetch us a drinky poo"
- "Oh. Touchy."
- "A phone! Scaramouche, you are one lucky devil."
- "Yeah, emergency collect call to Aku babe."
- "Aku, my boss man. You will not believe what I just went through babe."
- "Hey fellas, can you keep it, like, down? I'm trying to have a conversation."
- "Yeah, that's right Rover, I want you to keep your barking to a minimum."
- "Ok little puppy, you looked in a mirror lately? Now, go get somebody their slippers or something, I'm on the line."
- "So I wanted to tell you Aku. Jack-O lost-"
- "Dippidy-do-dang, babe."
- "Yeah baby, I really made it! Woooo!"
- "Wait, what's that up ahead?"
- "Aku? What a welcome!"
- "Aku baby I'm back. Scaramouche returned!"
- "What the?"
- "Oh no baby I did not come all this way for nothing!"
- "Luckily, Scaramouche knows scarymuch about all the ins and outs, babe."
- "Feast your ears on this. I mean,do you even have ears? Like, can those antler things even hear?"
- "Dig this, boss, Jack-o has lost his sword-o."
- "Yes. Yes. I'll bet my life on it."
- "Yeah, I'm back baby!"
- "...that Samurai Jack has lost the one thing in the entire universe that can destroy Aku!"
- "Oh, but, master I..."
- He is among the most popular enemies Jack has encountered.
- Scaramouche's name is derived from a stock clown character of the Italian commedia dell'arte.
- Scaramouche's speech pattern is based on late American singer Sammy Davis, Jr.
- His uniform is similar to the one worn by singer Prince.
- Scaramouche was the only known robot enemy that survived his encounter with Jack.
- His phone has a speed dial that allows him to contact Aku immediately. This allows him to communicate with Aku anytime he wishes, while the Cult of Aku have no access to any means to do so.
- Scaramouche is the 4th Villain that Jack encounters who uses music as a weapon. The first being DJ Stylbator, second is Jujunga, third are the Sirens.
- His musical power is an allusion to a scene in the movie Kung Fu Hustle, where a harpist plays a song causing weapons to appear and are controlled to how the song is played.
- Scaramouche can apparently still scat despite only his head remaining; it is however not strong enough to levitate even himself or anything else.
- Scaramouche's eyes are no longer blue in XCVII, but rather white.
- However while in possession of a dog's body, the "talking penis'" body, a squid's body, and even his own body his eyes reverted to its blue color. This may suggest that his eye color changes based on whether or not he is in possession of a body.
- As of XCVII, the color of his tongue changed from greenish-blue to red.
- Scaramouche appears to frequently break the 4th wall in his second appearance by consistently facing the camera and speaking to the audience.
- The ending credits for Episodes XCII and XCVII misspell his name as "Scaramouch" (though his name is displayed with an 'e' in the latter under "Aku's Current Top Assassins"). This is corrected for Episode C.
- Scaramouche did not wear pants in his first appearance, displaying bare legs with high-heeled boots under his coat. When his body is reconstructed by Aku, he wears blue pants over his legs..
- Scaramouche shares a couple of similarities with X-49, such as body structure, being robotic assassins with emotions and having an affinity for jazz, but they also have a few differences:
- X-49's personality was grim and due to his emotions he actually felt remorse over his actions, was able to love and wanted a humble life. Scaramouche was arrogant, egoistic and felt entitled to be rewarded by Aku for his "headliner" spot.
- X-49 played the trumpet and his tunes were melancholic. Scaramouche played the flute and scatted, with his tunes being more cheery and almost dance-like.
- X-49 met his ultimate fate due to his desire of saving his loved one (Lulu). Scaramouche met his ultimate fate due to his wishes of being rewarded by Aku and the lack of knowledge that Jack regained his sword which would cost him his life.
- The way in which Scaramouche shouts Aku's name to summon him from his lair is similar to how Jack had done it in the first episode.
- He resembles Kurogasa from the manga and anime series Rurouni Kenshin.
- There is an irony in Scaramouche and Jack's personalities since as a robot and human respectively, Scaramouche should in theory be silent while Jack has the ability to talk but rarely does so.
- He was voiced by Tom Kenny, who is best known for his best portrayal as Spyro in the classic Spyro the Dragon video game franchise, the Mayor in Powerpuff Girls, SpongeBob SquarePants in the SpongeBob SquarePants franchise, Dog in CatDog, Raimundo Pedrosa in Xiaolin Showdown, as well as Ice King in Adventure Time.
- He is named after the novel and 1952 film Scaramouche.
- Main article: Scaramouche/Gallery