|“|| Samurai Jack! Man, it is good to see you babe. What took you so long? I decimated this village days ago, just for you. Oh wait, this is you, right? I mean who could recognize you with all that gear, and ruggedness, baby? |
I'll tell you who: Me! Be-bee-ba-boo-bo-da... Scaramouch the Merciless! The Pied-Piper of Ruination, the Croner of Carnage, the Ambassador of Annihilation, the Eradicator of All, baby! Also known as... Aku's most favorite assassin, babe.
—Scaramouch, Episode XCII
Scaramouch the Merciless was an android who claimed to be Aku's top assassin.
His appearance is similar to X9, but with blue eyes instead of red, a longer neck and a larger functional mouth with teeth and a tongue. He wears a black straw hat, yellow scarf, red high-heel boots, a long purple coat with red interior and a large black belt.
Unlike other robots sent to kill Jack, Scaramouch is very boastful and talkative. Upon noticing that Jack was without his sword, he proceeded to mock him for it, to the point of calling Aku to boast that Jack had lost the weapon. He has a tendency to call anyone he meets as babe or baby, even his boss Aku. He is also extremely arrogant since he self-proclaims himself as Aku's favorite assassin, and it is unknown if Aku himself considers him such.
His arrogance is also his downfall since he lets his guard down long enough for Jack to use his knife, which was imbued by Scaramounch's own magnetic force from his own knife, against him and cripple his neck (the source of his ability) as well as heavily injure him.
In the face of death, he praises Jack's fighting skill, likely a weak attempt to talk his way out of his fate, before Jack chops him in half with his own sword.
By the time Jack reaches the plume of smoke, he arrives at a ruined city, filled with rubble and the corpses of its dead citizens. Jack meets the robot assassin Scaramouche, who claims himself to be Aku's most favored assassin and remarks on Jack's nigh-unrecognizable appearance, including the loss of Jack's sword. In a flashback, Jack recalls his signature weapon falling down an abyss as he looks in horror. Laughing, Scaramouche declares that Jack is no threat without his sword, and calls Aku on his mobile phone to make a report, but Jack destroys the phone with a thrown kunai.
Satisfied with this turn of events, Scaramouche begins to fight Jack, first by playing a magical flute that forms a golem out of the city's rubble. Jack quickly discovers that Scaramouche can rebuild the golem easily by reanimating more rocks to replace any part he breaks off. Landing among a pile of rocks, Jack is once again swept up in another hallucination, this time seeing the rocks around him as the children of the city, begging him for help, and the mysterious rider is looking down on the scene. Jack pleads for their understanding, which made Scaramouch thinks Jack has gone "beaucoup cuckoo". Eventually Jack destroys the flute, but Scaramouche reveals that his voice was the true source of his magic, and the robot proves his point by scatting. This impromptu singing animates Scaramouche's sword to fight Jack with.
While Jack barely dodges the sword's attacks, Scaramouche brings out another blade which opens up like a tuning fork, demonstrating its ability to vibrate at a frequency powerful enough to shatter Jack's own swords. As Scaramouch fights Jack to a standstill, he gloats over his victory, but Jack throws his remaining sword at Scaramouche, still vibrating from clashing with the tuning fork sword. The sword explodes at the last second, severely damaging Scaramouche's vocal chord equivalent, leaving him unable to fight. Scaramouch admits defeat as Jack cleaves him in two with Scaramouch's first blade, after which Jack keeps the tuning fork sword for himself as he leaves.
Powers and Abilities
- Enhanced Speed and Agility: Scaramouch is remarkably agile. He was able to leap tall structures in a single bound, quickly dodge Jack's attacks, and massacred an entire village in only a day.
- Musical Manipulation: Using a "magic" flute, Scaramouch can levitate objects and create golems to fight opponents. When the flute is destroyed, he can continue to levitate objects by scatting, indicating this power comes from his voice and the flute merely amplifies his ability, since he can only control his sword through his voice.
- Swordsmanship: Scaramouch is a master sword fighter, easily holding his own against even the experienced Jack, and carries multiple blades on his person, including a heavy scimitar and a special "tuning sword" that destroys objects on contact.
- Multilinguist: Scaramouch appears to understand French, as he taunts Jack with au revoir which is goodbye in the language. However, he sarcastically remarks it's French for "you're dead, babe."
- Observant Analyst: Scaramouch is shown to be very observant as he's able to point out that Jack has changed his appearance a lot and he even noticed that the samurai doesn't has sword anymore.
- Scaramouch name is derived from a stock clown character of the Italian commedia dell'arte.
- His speech pattern is based on Sammy Davis Jr.